An Introduction to Diagnosis and Treatment of Pelvic Floor Dysfunction
This introductory course will provide confidence for the clinician looking to master basic diagnosis and treatment of pelvic floor dysfunction. An evidence-based beginner's guide, instructors will lead therapists through a manual, externally-based approach to assist with treating pelvic floor dysfunction. Clinician's will improve their understanding of the myofascial system and its functional roles to the urological and gynecological systems. This a lab-based course and students will attain a set of tools to use with confidence on Monday morning.
Pelvic Health Schedule
At the completion of this seminar, the participant will be able to:
- Correctly identify and palpate 7 specific tissues in the abdominal pelvic area that create pelvic floor dysfunction and diagnosis.
- Correctly diagnose 5 specific lumbar dysfunctions and explain how each can impact 5 pelvic floor diagnoses.
- Correctly demonstrate the ability to choose from and instruct patients in 5 specific home program exercises/techniques for the urological and gynecological systems.
- Correctly perform 5 specific mobilizations and MET to the lumbar-pelvic complex.
- Correctly palpate 7 landmarks of the pelvis, sacrum and coccyx.
PT, DPT, ATC, CIMT
Jessica received a doctorate in physical therapy from the University of Dayton. She also has a Bachelor of Science with a focus on Athletic Training from the University of Toledo and is a certified athletic trainer (ATC). Jessica lives an active lifestyle, participating in sports and running. Jessica is a clinic director for Probility Physical Therapy in Plymouth, MI and offers a specialized Women's Health treatment program.
Lecture: Instruction on normal and abnormal function of the core and pelvic floor
Lecture: Anatomy instruction / review of the bones and muscles of the lumbar and pelvic region
Lecture: Instruction on the concepts of Myofasical Release and Muscle Energy Technique for the Pelvis
Lunch (on your own)
Lab: Bony Pelvis Palpation, MET - flares, slips, rotations
Lab: Sacrum palpation, MET - torsions, 3D sacral release, sacral taping, HEP
Lab: Coccyx Palpation
Lab: Coccyx Palpation, cont., MET, Mobilization, Taping
Lab: MFR Anterior Fascial Line - diaphragm, abdominals, psoas, pectineus, adductors
Lunch (on your own)
Lab: MFR Posterior - QL, multifidus, piriformis, glute med, QF, sacrotuberous ligament
Lab: MFR Pelvic Floor (all external)
-Ischiocavernosus, superficial transverse perineal, bulbocavernosus, perineal body, levator ani, coccygeus, obturator internus
Lab: Case Study group work and overall review
Question/answer session, post test, course evaluation